Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bonjour Madam Diary,

Good morning Madame Diary: It is Sunday, no people to deal with. I slept in 3 segments last night. I am having my once a week pleasure, a cup of coffee. I can usually recover from the overwhelming frustration and see things clearly with a good night sleep.

I am remembering "Shake Down Week" for some reason. Shake down week is the first week you open your shop. It was described to me as "disorganized hell" and to be ready. The person who worked shake down week with us was a young man named Mitch Todd. Mitch is a high energy, good looking young man with a streak of mischief in him. A very wide streak. I barely remember that week. I know I had to set up payroll, taxes, business license and insurance, etc, etc....and write over 80 estimates, fire an employee, deal with 15 people who were told to come back by the previous owner for a free paint job. People so filled with rage at him and frustration that many men had tears in their eyes when they came in. I had to figure out the computers and the program we bought and the bank. We were there at the shop at 6:00am and left around midnight. The shop was full of cars, not touched and no work orders, names etc., to be found. As we tracked each and everyone down and found out why they were there, we learned they had all paid in advance. of course.

There were also 7 barrels of toxic waste sitting in the shop, They were written into the purchase agreement that HE DEVIL would have picked up($150.00 per barrel). Most of the tools were gone that were there the day before during the walk through. By the third day, as I was numb to any further shock, the owners of the air compressor came to pick it up, the compressor HE DEVIL sold to me. No parts vendors or any vendors would deal with me as HE DEVIL owed everyone and I mean EVERYONE, money.

As I said, I do not remember that week for the most part. Mitch took charge of most everything and kept us moving. (running) I lost 10 pounds that week. Was too stunned to even cry. What Mitch kept telling me was to TRUST NO ONE WHO WALKS IN THAT DOOR. He put a sign on the inside of my door. I still have it there. Mitch taught Hugh and I to write estimates, to yell back at customers who yell first and fire crappy employees. He tried to teach me to be tough and laugh at the thugs, not do anything that was above basic service levels as when they do not pay, they do not appreciate. I couldn't toughen up in a week, I had to change my core and am still at it. It seems like "shake down week" lasted 6 months. I dealt with HE DEVIL legal issues for 6 months straight. My legal fees were $5,000. a month. There is another one I pray for, May he recieve his just rewards. Some of the people he owed money to called me at work and threatened to come to my shop and beat the crap out of me. Men! If I did not pay them the money HE DEVIL owed them. Stop in anytime, I told them. I have 911 on speed dial.

Mitch Todd was a very important part of my life for the next 9 months. He called every week or I called him. He talked me through handling customers, vendors and the previous owner. Listened to me cry with frustration and anger almost daily. He listened to me cry over marriage issues. He even called a customer and pretended he was a police officer to get him to pay his bill. Did not work, but we had a good laugh over the the waste of human skin guy. I have one big secret I have kept from Mitch, if he ever comes back and we share a drink again, I will tell him. I believe I would surprise that young, tough skinned fellow. I would like to see him again, and wish him the best where ever he may be.

I had no idea what I had gotten us into, but Mitch was there to explain it to me. If he was still around, he would tell me to tell these people to %$^*(^%#$@@$% and then take their money. They aren't worth it. He is right, everytime we go above and beyond and give a customer services they did not pay for to help them, THEY are the ones who complain and cuss at us the most. I think they think if they got something, they could get more. People have told me "I broke their radio or something in the car". I say "Sir, your radio was broken when you brought the car in" They go, "ok" and leave. But they gotta try, huh! I have begun to hate humanity and especially hate this town.

Dear Lord, please give me the strength to deal harshly with the dishonest people and not let the anger reflect on the good people of the world. Help me be discerning and know a liar and thief when I meet them and not become so jaded that I hate all people because of the bad ones.

Thank your Madame Diary for your friendship. You are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment