Saturday, December 5, 2009

here we go again!

Hey Lady,

"This befell and behappened and became and was, O my best beloved, when the tame animals were wild" (Rudyard Kipling)

It is Saturday afternoon and I am sitting in my office as my estimator, Greg, has taken it upon himself to paint his brother's car. How hard can that be? We shall see. I have at least an hour to wait....and write. Greg has never painted a car before but always appears to be a quick study. I hope for his brother's sake, who is at his side, that he truly is a fast learner. Nonetheless, it has been an adventure they will both remember and laugh over many an alcoholic beverage.

It is the beginning of the second week of December. As is the case during the Holidays, we are slow. Shop guys are edgy. Damn, I am edgy. So, I gulped and made the decision to throw up the 1/2 price sale banner for a few weeks. We will be very busy....with the hiding hinky. As you will recall, nothing brings out the "best" in people like a half price sale. I already have a little gal who won't pick up or pay for her car as she is mad that it "looks painted"! Well, we painted it. It is a beautiful base/clear black. It looks great and above standards. We wet sanded and buffed it even though she did not pay for us to. We also fixed several dings for free. I might venture to guess, it looked painted when it was new and when she brought it in as it has always been painted. She seems on an ego thing and high maintenance. She said she was calling, "her people". I told her storage charges start today as she stormed out. I am wondering if she plans to steal it out of the lot without paying. I cannot imagine "her people" advising her to do so.

I let a guy go a while back whose chief position here was "breaker of all tools, daily". He backed two cars into the garage doors, broke everything he touched did as little work as he possible could. You see, poor man was addicted to unemployment and I was hell bent on not letting him get it. He became better and better daily at sluffing, breaking, disturbing others at work, sitting on the john and his other daily duties. I found out about his addiction when he applied for unemployment on his vacation and sick days. I gave him credit for his creative ways of trying to cheat his way onto the couch with a beer, as his new career. As Greg said, he had "anal glaucoma".....couldn't see his ass going to work.

My daughter in law, Abby is doing estimates on a regular basis and she is doing great! The customers love her and she is so customer service oriented and detailed that she is great! I so seldom do an estimate anymore, I do not think I have done one since the gentleman disrobed. I need to keep my fingers in the pot or I will forget how to cook.

I took a mental health break and got away from the shop for a week. I have a good group of people, they held down the fort. But, enough of the relax, we have a half price sale to drive us forward into 2010! Thank you Lord for all your blessings. Keep all my guys safe. talk soon love, Lynn Moore

2 comments:

  1. Don't let the stress get to you..Always keep a smile on your face. Just handle one car at a time and don't let the but munchers get to you.

    ReplyDelete