Thursday, July 26, 2012

I hear the train a'comin.....it's rolling round the bend......

Gentle Body Shop readers,

I learned and wish to share what the judicial system does for us small, honest business folks.  Monday I sat in court for four hours waiting for the case of the state vs. Taj Dumbey to be heard.  Dumbey was charged with writing a bad check, for $196.54, three years ago, to me.  I was new, and not the seasoned hard broad I am now.  It was against our policy to take any personal checks, but my daughter-in-law, Abby, had a weak moment.  Her weak moment resulted in hours of time, my time, to right a wrong. 

I went to the police department with all the documentation of the crime.  They gave me extensive amount of forms to fill out, the task of writing and sending a certified letter.  At that point, it was limbo.  Well, now what guys???  go get him!   Not. 

I called and called, I went to his bank three times, all to no avail.  I for some reason kept the paperwork in my desk drawer probably to insure no one ever has a moment of kindness again. 

Three years later, Drake, my estimator, came to me and said Hamington County Court House is on the phone for you.  k...........   Yes, I remember and YES, he still owes me the money.  ok, bye.

A week later an kindly gentleman walked into my office with a subpoena and to be funny, waved a pair of handcuffs at me.  Ok, there was a court date for the State vs. Taj Dumbey and I was to appear as a witness againse said criminal.  Well, this should be interesting.  I pulled the three year old paperwork out of my bottom desk drawer and put the date on my calendar. 

Now, I am thinking good old Taj is counting on my not showing after three years and how right I was.  That must happen often as the DA was just thrilled to see me.  Checked with me on the amount of the check, the cost of the Certified Letter and let's throw in the bank charge for good measure.  Total:  $235.00. 

I sat through 4 hours of criminal cases of all kinds waiting for my moment to tell Mr. Dumbey how he needed to change his ways!  I sat there for justice, not the money.  During this time, I saw a lot of the lowest of humanity.  By the way, DO NOT fall asleep in a hospital room, you may wake up and find a foul mouthed old man going through your things.  He got 4 months in jail, three for trespassing and one for his foul mouth.

As it got close to lunch time, Mr. Dumbey's state appointed attorney finally showed up.  Mr. Dumbey's loving girlfriend approached me and told me they did not have enough money to pay the full amount and was it ok if I just took the $200 and they would call later with a credit card for they other $35.00?    WHAT!  hells NO!!!  Like, after this, I am going to believe that will happen?? 

Next thing I know, the state appointed attorney wants to talk to me.....who is Drake?.....He work for me, Why?????  (Shangri La is getting crabby.)  My client called and paid the $35 over the phone and I have the rest of the money.  Lady, what do you want me to do? 


Well, no I do not know where the DA went, How would I know and why are you asking me where she is??????  (really getting crabby).  Knowing what was coming, I went into the hall, called Drake, confirmed the payment.  Ok, now can .....we just have the trial and get this over soon. 



DA is now wanting me in the hall.  Who is Drake?  (not again)  I told her he took the payment.  She had the two hundred cash in her hand and said they are going to dismiss the charges and here is my money.  Well, how am I supposed to feel?  I told her I did not sit here all day for the money, I wanted to see justice served.  Everyone who lives an honest life wants to see that those who don't, pay for it in some way.  She said she understood, but that is the way it is.  I could leave now. 



It was anti-climatic and  a let down.  I did everything right and did get my money back, but where was the smack on the hand to let him know not to do that again?  He was looking like he felt sorry for himself because he had to pay me.  Oh, poor boy.  I left not sure how I felt about the justice system once again.  I got my money, but the bad guy got nothing to make him conside his behavior next time. 



NEVER, take a personal check from anyone EVER.  Too much time and work. 

I hope anyone who may read this NEVER has a weak moment of trust.  Learn from this experience.  It is sad, it is a penality to be paid by nice, honest people so we don't get taken by the crooks of the world.
 

With that, I will say Bon Nuite Mon Cheri's.  Amore, Shangri La

2 comments:

  1. Shangri La,

    I hate when people who are trying to live by the rules get twisted up in what has become of our criminal justice system. It has truly become "lets make a deal" and there is a whole sub-culture out there that rip off hardworking people like you any chance they get. You go to the one place where justice is supposed to occur only to see what really happens.. Very sad. I think it started when the judges allowed control and respect to slip from their court rooms. There was a day when I was a young police officer (many moons ago) when the lowest defendant actually showed up for court, spoke proper english, showed respect, wore a collared shirt or faced consequences.. Not so much any more; the animals have taken over the zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always a bugger when people that are just going along living how a good honest person should live gets wrapped up in stuff. It is good that there are honest auto body shop owners like yourself out there. I am in dire need of one. haha

    ReplyDelete