Sunday, August 14, 2011

Running a Christian Business in Satan's Culture

Mon Cheri, Beloved, Bon jour. It is early on Sunday morning, my favorite time and I am thinking of you. I find myself feeling sad as I think over the events of the last week. My goal was to have a Christian Family Business and I find myself being beat up and challenged daily. At least once a day, a customer will try to con me to steal money.

For example, we re-stored a lady's Mustang and she was thrilled with the outcome. Then she told us her odometer did not work and we had to pay for it. I know exactly what was done to her car and NOTHING could have affected in any way, the odometer. Her odometer was broken when she brought it in and she sees a way to get a free one. I am sure I will end up in court. Yet, more sad than that, I am sure this woman goes to church. I am sure she sees nothing wrong with what she is doing. Why not? Everyone does it. Thus, society is misguided and a lack of character fills the world today. I say this as it happens daily. From what I also hear, it happens everywhere. I was told by another shop owner that a customer had a repair, was happy and then told the owner if he gave him $200.00, he would NOT write to the BBB and complain. That is extortion, I believe.

A lady we did an extensive repair for, and we did it complete and well, had a $500.00 deductable. She knew this all along. As the car was almost complete, I got a call from someone who said he was her brother wanting me to forget the deductable, you know, as you usually do....Sir, I do not know who you are and I am not discussing this lady's finances or repair with anyone but her. Then she started, I do not have the money. Abby and I both felt a con, so we stood our ground... After several calls, she came in to get her car and stood at the counter, with her saddest face, told Abby that she only had $400.00. Abby said you had to talk to the boss. She came in the shop and told me. I walked out front, and in an equally sad face, but firm, told her I was so sorry, but she could not have her car. I reminded her that we had talked about that and did she need help making arrangements as I could NOT let her have her car.

She then pulled the $500.00 out of her purse and paid her deductable and left with her car. Bless her heart, she had to try.

To anyone thinking about owning a business, think about it long and hard. Do you have the stomach to fight the fair battle daily? You will need the knowledge, skill and gut feel to do so, just to protect yourself.

I have made a rule that we do not do a vehicle older than 1985. People think a cheap paint job, and they want cheap, is the same as a restoration. My last confrontation, was after the paint job on a 35 year old car, which turned out beautiful, the window did not work perfectly. This was during my two weeks where I had no ability to deal with these people due to the heat and I told them their car was a piece of crap. New paint did not mean new car. My body man was there and laughed and told me with a smile, I may not want to tell people their cars were crap. We laughed and I told him I knew and would work on getting back on track. It is to the point, that my muscles tighten everytime anyone walks in. When someone loves you and thanks you, you just want to hug them and cry. Isn't that pathetic. Three years, and I still need to toughen up and learn to take it in stride.

I have hired a woman to work in the back. She starts Monday. This is a new one, and I know my crew well enough to know they will be respectful, but I also think she can handle it. I am excited about her as something about her character has impressed me. This one is on gut only. We will see how good my gut is.

I have been talking every week to my Italian, New York consultant. He continues to help me with advice, instruction and moral support. I continue to get better and understand the shop as it pertains to production. Thank you Anthony.

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil as Thou art with me. Thy rod and thy staff shall comfort me"

Shangri La

2 comments:

  1. WoW! I cant believe people now a days! maybe thats why everyone's KARMA is so sucky! It all comes around in full circle. Love you, stay strong!

    ReplyDelete